Alex Close-Claughton, Caseworker
Alex is a Senior Caseworker in our Crown Court department. He joined Olliers in 2014 and handles a Crown Court caseload as well as dealing with clients at the pre-charge stage.
He has experience in dealing with a wide range of matters including murder, firearms offences, serious assaults, armed robberies and drug matters. He has good interpersonal skills and is well liked by his clients.
Whilst Alex’s main focus is on serious crime he also specialises in Fare Evasion matters. He is often instructed by clients in the early stages of a case and has had much success with submitting persuasive representations to rail providers that they should settle out of court and discontinue their prosecution.
Alex deals with both privately and publicly funded work and he has significant experience in gaining positive pre-charge outcomes as well as favourable results for clients at court.
Alex in the Media
Alex is quoted in the Law Society Gazette discussing the succession crisis in criminal law and the advantages of the apprenticeship scheme. Click here to read the article.
- Operation Praslin – 2021 – Represented defendant accused of a conspiracy to supply large quantities of class a drugs
- Operation Erath – 2021 – Represented defendant involved in large scale multi-handed drugs conspiracy
- R v I – 2021 – Represented defendant for s18 Assault (GBH), successfully secured not guilty verdict at trial in the crown court.
- R v D – 2020 – Represented defendant indicted with 12 Burglaries, successfully secured an acquittal in the crown court for all Burglary counts.
- R v D – 2020 – Represented defendant indicted for Rape and Sexual Assault, charges dropped by CPS following the submission of a detailed defence statement.
- R v G – 2019 – Represented defendant accused of Conspiracy to Supply Class A drugs. Client acquitted after trial
- R v T – 2019 – Advised prominent YouTuber in relation to the legality of The Boring Companys ‘Not a FlameThrower
- R v R – 2019 – Represented Youth defendant accused of multiple serious assaults, firearms and robberies.
- R v V – 2018 – Represented defendant accused of dangerous driving resulting in serious collision, successfully secured suspended sentence for client.
- R v Z – 2018 – Involved in preparation of Trading Standards Case, successfully secured acquittal for client at trial.
- R v R – 2018 – Represented client accused of serious firearms offences.
- R v I – 2018 – Represented client accused of gang style murder.
- R v S – 2018 – Pre-charge representations and submission of telephone evidence to police assisted in in securing a no further action decision for client accused of rape.
- R v D – 2018 – Pre-charge representations assisted in securing a no further action decision by police for suspect accused of GBH.
- R v I – 2017 – Successfully secured a no further action decision by police for client accused of murder amongst other offences.
- R v N – 2017 – Represented client accused of murder.
- R v W and others – 2016 – advised multiple clients accused of a serious conspiracy to commit armed robbery and money laundering.
- R v D – 2016 – Represented client accused of murder.
- R v C – 2016 – Mobile phone analysis again helped to secure an acquittal for defendant on money laundering and supplying class A drugs charges.
- R v C – 2015 – Evidence forwarded by the defence from the mobile phone of the defendant as well as those of co-accused helped to secure a not guilty verdict possession of intent to supply class A drugs at trial.
- R v J – 2015 – Involved in the preparation of a terrorism case that was heard at the Old Bailey.