Olliers Solicitors are delighted to have once again been recommended as a Tier One Firm in General Crime and Fraud in the North West in the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2024 Edition which has been published today (Wednesday 4th October 2023)
The Legal 500 Guide comments as follows: –
“Olliers is a ‘standout full criminal service firm’, with a notable reputation in defending clients in general crime cases, investigations, and prosecutions regarding financial crime, business crime, regulatory breaches, and asset recovery. The group of specialists particularly stands out for its proactive approach in handling pre-charge criminal investigations and supporting a range of clients, from company directors and professionals, to private individuals. Practice head and ‘top-class lawyer’ Matthew Claughton is ‘a visionary who has steered the firm from being a group of legal aid criminal defence lawyers to being the most professional legal service providers in the North.’ Stand-out individuals include Zita Spencer, Matthew Corn, and Laura Baumanis.”
Matthew Claughton, Leading criminal defence lawyer
Our Managing Director Matthew Claughton has once again been listed as a ‘Leading Individual’ in the Guide which comments:
“Matthew Claughton is a visionary. He is the person who has steered the firm from being a group of legal aid criminal defence lawyers to being the most professional legal service providers in the north. He is also a top-class lawyer, especially when it comes to top end financial crime.”
This follows him being awarded the Legal 500 Northern Powerhouse Criminal Lawyer of the Year in 2023.
Other recommended lawyers
Olliers’ Partner Gareth Martin who joined the firm earlier this year has been ranked as a Next Generation Partner in Health and Safety Law as well as Crime. Gareth heads up Olliers’ Regulatory Department.
Other recommended lawyers include:
Richard Cornthwaite who joined Olliers earlier this year is also listed as a Leading Individual.
Quotes from the Guide include:
- ‘Olliers general crime and fraud team really is one of the best criminal defence firms in the North West; the numerous awards that they receive every year evidences the longstanding, consistent excellence of this team. Members of the team give their clients 100% at all times.’
- ‘Laura Baumanis is outstanding. Her client care is exceptional. She really goes the extra mile and is very good indeed with difficult clients in cases of the utmost seriousness.’
- ‘Zita Spencer is simply the best. Her compassionate client care is always a priority, and she has superb intellectual strength and works out a game plan that succeeds even with difficult cases. She has a near perfect record of trial acquittals in sexual offences trials. Superb solicitor who is hugely respected on circuit.’
- The client care provided by Olliers is second-to-none. All of the team go above and beyond in any case, big or small, to ensure that clients receive the best possible representation. They give clear and practical at every stage. They are constantly developing as a team and ensure they remain up to date with any legal changes.’
- ‘Matthew Corn is an exceptional solicitor. He is the go-to solicitor for serious criminal cases in Manchester. He is extremely thorough and leaves no stone unturned. He is calm and personable, gaining the confidence of clients from the outset.’
- ‘Olliers services all areas of criminal law and this is plain from the strength and depth of their criminal team. They are often instructed in multi-handed complex cases and when dealing with complicated fraud matters, their attention to detail is superb. Across the board, their lawyers demonstrate excellent client care.’
Matthew Claughton, Managing Director of Olliers commented;
“I am delighted that Olliers has once again been ranked as a Top Tier Firm in the Legal 500 continuing our success of previous years. We have an outstanding team at Olliers and the comments within the Guide acknowledge this.”
Olliers Solicitors, Leading Criminal Defence Law Firm
Olliers is firmly established as one of the UKs leading criminal defence and regulatory law firms specialising in the defence of individuals, businesses and other organisations across a broad range of corporate and financial crime, regulatory breaches, serious crime, sexual offences, professional discipline, inquests and public inquiries.
In 2023 we won the award for Crime Team of the Year at the Manchester Legal Awards for the 6th time. In 2022 we were awarded Law Firm of the Year at the Manchester Legal Awards for the second year in a row.