Zita Spencer, Partner specialising in Criminal Defence
Zita Spencer has been part of the team at Olliers since 2003 and has swiftly gained a formidable reputation as a first class, dynamic solicitor who has defended in some of the most high profile cases of recent years.
She is committed to cases from start to finish; throughout the investigation process providing advice prior to interview, during the pre-charge investigative stage and through to trial in the Crown Court.
Zita is known for her pro-active approach during the ongoing investigation stage of a case. She will always look to bring an investigation to a conclusion without the need for a prosecution. She is known for her strategic approach liaising with investigators throughout. She applies a combination of formal and informal representations to police and prosecutors ensuring that the chances of a prosecution are kept to a minimum. Zita has significant experience in dealing with cases at this stage particularly cases involving sexual allegations and indecent images.
Zita can only usually be instructed on a privately funded basis.
Zita provides outstanding defence and expertise in the following areas:
Zita has significant experience of allegations of historical sexual abuse, human trafficking, rape, grooming, sexual communications, indecent images, SHPO, notifications requirements. She has a fantastic track record in terms of acquittals at trial and works alongside leading sexual offence specialist barristers.
Zita has dealt with some of the most high profile murder cases in recent years. She also has considerable experience in dealing with allegations of serious assault and conspiracy to supply drugs.
Zita has considerable experience of acting for core participants in public inquiries. She has also represented interested parties doing inquests, particularly where there is an inquest following criminal proceedings. Zita is currently completing a diploma in coronial law at Bolton University.
Fraud and financial crime:
Zita is regularly instructed in relation to allegations of money laundering, conspiracy to defraud, restraint orders and SFO investigations.
Zita is known for meticulous preparation and exceptional attention to detail. She leaves no stone unturned in achieving the best possible result for her clients.
Zita is a member of the Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers.
Zita in the Media
As a highly experienced specialist lawyer, Zita is often asked to comment on topical issues by the Media.
- Click here to read Zita quoted in the Independent discussing the legality of sugar daddy dating websites.
- Click here to read Zita quoted in the Independent discussing the legality of teenagers ‘sexting’.
Successful Criminal Defence
- Secured the outright acquittal of a North West couple charged with 39 offences of rape and other serious sexual offences. Read Article
- Acquittal in a multi-handed conspiracy to rape case after a half time submission regarding the correct approach of the law on conspiracy to rape. Read Article
- ‘Olliers Solicitors have been by our side for 2 and half years. In very difficult circumstances, they have advised us, acted for us, reassured us. We worked mainly with Zita Spencer and also Matthew Claughton. Zita in particular became almost part of the family. She understood our concerns, always addressed them, always responded promptly and was proactive is helping us navigate our circumstances. Her empathy and commitment to our case helped us to feel secure in the process. We felt like her only client: it was clear she cared about our situation. Zita and Matt’s assertiveness on our behalf gave us confidence. With regards to the advice and assistance we received, it could not have been better. It was accurate, professional, considered, balanced. Financially, they listened to our needs and agreed a payment plan accordingly when possible. In every way, I could not recommend them more. We are deeply grateful for their assistance.’
- Counsel: ‘Zita is an outstanding solicitor committed to her clients. I have worked with Zita on serious cases for many years and she is quite exceptional. She quickly masters the detail of a case and provides sound advice. Her preparation is second to none and she has a manner which puts clients at their ease. She provides all this with wit and insight. She is an excellent lawyer and an absolute asset to any case she is on.’
- ‘In closing it was nice meeting you although the situation could have been better and again I thank you for your valued assistance. Best wishes’
- ‘Zita, Just wanted to say thank you again for your help and support.’
- ‘Words of gratitude to Olliers cannot be expressed highly enough who represented me v four fraud indictments… Olliers solicitor, Zita Spencer, is to be highly commended’’
- ‘I wanted to thank you for defending me on Monday.. Thankyou for the advice…. Sad is it sounds I was so glad to be back to work yesterday haha…. Many Thanks for all your help once again!’
- R v ML 2022 – representation pre charge of client accused of rape – no further action taken by police.
- R v JO 2022 – successful pre charge engagement re allegation of rape – no further action taken by the police.
- R v T 2022 – allegation of sexual assault – client acquitted at trial.
- R v L 2022 – allegation of sexual assault – dropped by prosecution prior to arraignment.
- Inquest 2021 – narrative verdict – unlawful killing was a live issue following decision in the case of Maughan. Judicial review ongoing.
- R v W 2021– historic allegation of rape, dropped by the prosecution following cross examination of the Complainant – client acquitted.
- R v SB 2021– successful representations against charge re allegations of S18 assault and controlling/ coercive behaviour, no further action taken by police.
- 2020: Manchester Arena Inquiry
- 2020: R v D – allegation of rape – acquitted after trial.
- 2020: R v W – allegation of sexual assault by two complainants – acquitted after trial
- 2019: R v M – allegation of murder – acquitted after trial
- 2019 R v C – allegations of historic sexual offences – acquitted after trial
- 2019 R v B– large and complex fraud of over
- 2019: R v G – allegations of historic sexual by two complainants – acquitted after trial
- 2019: R v B– allegation of rape- acquitted after trial
- 2019: R v L – Arson
- 2018: R v B – allegation of rape- dropped by prosecution before trial
- 2018: R v C – S18 assault allegation – dropped by prosecution before trial
- 2018: R v M– allegation of rape- acquitted after trial
- 2018: R v A – allegation of controlling coercive behaviour- dropped by prosecution before trial
- 2018: R v C – historic sexual allegations – acquitted after trial
- 2018: R v D – allegation of historic rape – successful abuse of process argument
- 2018: R v S – large scale fraud allegation.
- R v AW & KH, 2018: £800,000 fraud case involving 36 defendants and multiple trials.
- R v RD, 2017: Representation of defendant accused of murder involving detailed phone analysis and forensic work.
- R v MJ, 2017: Money laundering investigation following the Dale Cregan trial below. Multiple defendants accused of laundering the proceeds of crime through property transactions.
- R v FL, 2016: large scale multi-handed drugs conspiracy spanning the length of the country with trial held at Southampton Crown Court.
- R v Commons, February 2015: Client accused under the Terrorism Act 2000. Read more
- R v Dale Cregan, June 2013: Representation of a defendant accused in a multi handed murder trial – client acquitted. Read more
- Operation Viola, 2008: Defence of client accused in a high profile gangland murder. Read more