David was admitted as a solicitor in 1992 and heads the department dealing with Magistrates Court cases and police station attendances. The department is one of the busiest in the region representing people throughout the North West and further afield.
Specialising in criminal defence work throughout his career David is a Duty Solicitor and Higher Court (Crime) Advocate. He joined Olliers in 2008 from JMW where he was a partner for 12 years. He is a member of Manchester Law Society’s Crown and Magistrates Court Committee. He is also Olliers Compliance Officer For Legal Practice.
David is proud of Olliers involvement in and support for a number of community activities including the Friends of the Roman Gardens, the Booth Centre and North West Legal Support Trust. He continues to mentor students at the University of Law as he has done for some years.
Watch David discussing Magistrates’ Court Sentencing Guidelines
Funding Your Case
As a vastly experienced criminal defence solicitor David is very much aware of the significant implications there can be for people facing criminal investigations and court cases. He represents both people who have been granted legal aid and people who are privately funded.
Olliers are committed to providing all of our clients with a first rate standard of representation. You can find out more here about funding your case.
One of the areas that David specialises in is representing people who are facing investigations or proceedings arising out of incidents at football matches. David is well aware that people can find themselves in difficulties for football related matters for all sorts of reasons.
Olliers are a Football Offence law firm regularly representing people in connection with Public Order Act offences, alcohol and ticketing related matters as well as applications for Football Banning Orders.
David Philpott and Laura Baumanis lead the Olliers Football Team and you can contact them or find out more here.
Click here to Follow David on Twitter
Recent Articles written by David
- Up for the Cup
- Victim Surcharge increased; however still no discretion for sentencers
- Premier League Clubs To Face Action Over Lack Of Provision For Fans With Disabilities
- Olliers Football: Home Office arrest figures
Watch David discussing representation at the Magistrates’ Court
David appears in the Magistrates Court on a daily basis and deals with all types of cases from theft, assault and harassment to the most serious types of matters. A number of David’s cases have been reported recently:
- Warehouse worker swindled firm he worked for out of £95k by diverting customer orders
- Drunk yob punched Metrolink inspector and racially abused another
- Wythenshawe carer who left dog to starve for two weeks banned from ever owning an animal
- Drink-driver drove friend’s car onto tram tracks and had to call 999
- Shoplifter who was tackled and sat on by have-a-go-hero is jailed
- Boxer fears Hillsborough banner stunt over M602 could impact his career