James Claughton, Solicitor
James joined Olliers in September 2020.
James studied Law with Business at the University of Liverpool and then the LLM Legal Practice (Solicitors) at BPP University.
James previously worked at DWF and Slater Gordon. James has a particular interest in the investigation stage of criminal cases. He has a growing caseload of cases involving pre charge engagement and regularly makes representations against charge on behalf of clients under investigation. James’ 2019 Masters project was entitled ‘Proposals for increasing pre-charge engagement between the prosecution and the defence’.
James has a particular interest in complex regulatory matters but also enjoys the cut and thrust of general crime.
- 2022 member of a team representing defendant facing allegations of defrauding models in Operation Gilbert – National Trading Standards Team operation – an alleged fraud connected with several model agencies and photography studios. Proceedings currently stayed following successful defence applications.
- 2022 Representation of client facing Information Commissioner’s Office investigation into data protection breaches
- 2022 Advising overseas crypto currency trader in client in relation to obligations to register with Financial Conduct Authority for the purpose of UK based activity
- Engaged in representation of numerous clients seeking discharge or variation of SHPO and SOPO and other ancillary orders
- James has also worked on matters including POCA offences and drugs cases
- James has also worked with our Insolvency team working on matters involving assisting disputes with Insolvency Practitioners, Commercial Disputes and Bankruptcy disputes.