Top Tier law firm – fraud
The Legal 500 comments in relation to fraud:
As a ‘tight-knit and skilled’ specialist defendant crime firm, Olliers is noted for ‘responsively and diligently’ handling serious fraud allegations, with core pillars of the department including pension and investment fraud mandates. Other key areas of work include money laundering issues, NCA and HMRC investigations and proceeds of crime confiscation matters. Practice head Matthew Claughton specialises in allegations of serious fraud and regulatory issues; he regularly acts for clients in investigations, and has a strong reputation in crisis management work.
- ‘The team is a tight knit and skilled one.’
- ‘Matthew Claughton has an excellent practice, with a significant degree of private work.’
- ‘As a firm, Olliers has earned its richly deserved reputation for success. The firm shows real strategic acumen, often changing the outcome of a prosecution and even, in many cases, avoiding prosecution altogether, by identifying the weaknesses in a prosecution through a process of careful analysis.’
- ‘Olliers are the best all round criminal firm in Manchester. It is such a tight knit outfit that it is like dealing with a family. They have strengths across the spectrum of criminal offences. In fraud matters I have known Olliers to be involved with the leading cases on circuit and beyond. They have a national presence and the reason that they are able to compete with the usual firms in this area is down to the significant experience they have gathered over many years.’
- ‘An excellent regional firm handling complex, sensitive, high profile work responsively and diligently – you know you’re in excellent hands with this team.’
Top Tier law firm – crime
In respect of crime, the Legal 500 goes on to comment: Olliers handles a broad range of complex crime cases spanning terrorism charges, historic sex offences and manslaughter by gross negligence claims; the team also advises on issues involving drugs and firearms. The ‘super bright’ Matthew Claughton leads the practice and advises on crisis management issues and investigations. ‘Exceptionally good communicator and strategic thinker’ Alex Preston ‘gets incredible results‘ when representing clients with psychiatric or learning difficulties.
- ‘Olliers are without doubt the most proactive firm of solicitors I work with.’
- ‘They are very analytical and tactical in the way they approach every case; their experience absolutely shines out in this regard.’
- ‘Alex Preston has extensive experience of complex criminal cases often involving autism spectrum disorders. She is very intelligent, experienced, thorough, assertive and persistent. Without question, she is my first choice of solicitor for cases of such complexity. She gets incredible results consequent to her experience and complete dedication.’
- ‘Alex Preston is an exceptionally good communicator and strategic thinker.’
- ‘Olliers provide a stellar service in all areas of crime, showing particular strength in private crime. The team are always available, approachable and seek winning solutions to even the most comprehensive legal problems.’
- ‘Olliers are widely regarded as a leading presence in criminal litigation. For the lay client, instructing Olliers provides an immediate and often decisive edge. Their team offers specialist advice in all areas of criminal work. Matthew Claughton’s ambitious plans for expansion into high-profile private client work have proved highly successful.’
- ‘Fantastic client management skills and they really fight every case to the maximum of their ability.’
Matthew Claughton – leading criminal defence lawyer
Our Managing Director Matthew Claughton has been listed as a Leading Individual for both crime and fraud in the guide to outstanding lawyers. This follows him winning Partner of the Year at the Manchester Legal Awards 2021 earlier this year.
- ‘Matthew Claughton is top class for any financial crime requirement. When you instruct him you are assured of the very best service and the very best result.’
- ‘Matt Claughton – managing partner, the go-to solicitor for private crime. Impeccable acquittal rate, straight talking but super bright.’
Matthew Claughton, Managing Director of Olliers, commented:
“I am delighted that Olliers has once again been ranked as a Tier 1 firm in the Legal 500 continuing our success of previous years. I am particularly pleased with the comments in relation to the firm which reflect our proactive approach to representation of clients facing criminal investigation.”
Criminal defence law firm
Olliers is firmly established as one of the UK’s leading criminal defence and regulatory law firms, specialising in the defence of individuals, businesses, and other organisations across a broad range of corporate and financial crime, regulatory offences, serious crime, sexual offences, asset recovery, insolvency disputes, motor offences, inquests, public inquires and appeals.
In June 2021 the firm won Crime Team of the year and Small Firm of the year at the Manchester Legal Awards 2021. Managing Director Matthew Claughton also won Partner of the Year and fellow Director Ruth Peters won Solicitor of the Year.