Max Saffman, Higher Court Advocate
Max Saffman qualified as a solicitor in 1994 and joined Olliers Solicitors as a partner in 2008, having previously been a partner at JMW.
Max has spent the last 10 years as a specialist Higher Court Advocate. Max has extensive experience of the full range of criminal law cases including murder, allegations of people smuggling, firearms offences, robbery, rape, sexual assault and serious drugs conspiracies. He also has considerable fraud experience and experience of dealing with and appealing decisions of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Sexual Harm Prevention Orders/Sex Offender Notification Requirements
Max specialises in advising clients who are subject to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order and notification requirements in having their names removed from the register or/and discharging such an order.
- Click here to read about the use of polygraph tests in the management of risk of Sex Offenders.
- Click here to read an article written by Max about indefinite notification requirements in cases involving an extended period of supervision.
- Click here to read more about Sexual Harm Prevention Orders and Notification Requirements.
As well as being a member of The Law Society, Max is a member of The Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers and The Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates.
- 2017 – Representing lead defendant in conspiracy to assist in management of a brothel. Case ongoing.
- 2017- Represented one of lead defendants in Operation Bonaparte. Conspiracy to commit armed robberies in and around Manchester.
- 2016 – R v C – Supply of Class A drugs – acquittal
- 2016 – R v A – Kidnap/false imprisonment – acquittal
- 2016 – R v H – Grievous bodily harm – acquittal
- 2016 – R v A – Secured non custodial sentence for 3 offences of distribution of indecent images
- 2015 – A-G’S Reference No 3005 of 2015 – Successfully defended a reference by the Attorney General. Court of Appeal upheld a suspended prison sentence imposed for large scale drugs supply after trial. Read more.
- 2015 – Bolton CC – Operation Maple – Secured a suspended sentence for client involved in the largest discovery of ‘legal highs’ in the UK. Three week drug conspiracy trial
- 2015 – Newcastle CC – Secured a suspended sentence for client in a multi handed VOSA prosecution
- 2014 – Manchester CC – Secured acquittal, date rape trial
- 2014 – Manchester CC – Secured acquittal in sexual assault trial
- 2013 – Lead defendant in Operation Tahiti
- 2012 – Operation Walrus – Minshull Street CC – Acquittal of defendant facing complex fraud allegation
- 2011 – Operation Annerley – Middlesborough CC – Secured only jury acquittal in 12 handed money laundering/mortgage fraud
- 2011 – Operation Oceanus – Manchester CC – Representation of Company Director facing mortgage and buy to let fraud
- 2010 – Operation Pylon – Mold CC – Multi-handed fraud, mixed jury verdicts
- 2010 R –v– W – Liverpool CC – Led Junior in large scale conspiracy to import class A drugs
- 2009 R –v– R Leeds CC – Representation of defendant in multi handed honour killing
- 2008 – A-G’s Reference No 52 & 53 of 2008 – Successfully defended a reference by the Attorney General where the Appellate Court upheld a suspended prison sentence imposed for Section 18 Wounding with Intent after a trial.
“Thanks again to Max for his help. I honestly cannot express how much we both appreciate everything Max has done both for me and my partner. He has definitely restored our faith in professionals which we very much need with the road ahead.
From the minute I first spoke with Max he acted as a solicitor should. If it wasn’t for Max my partner would be doing a very long time in jail and I wouldn’t have been to cope with that so he would have been lost in the system. Thank you so much again to Max for representing him and I wish Max all the very best for the future.”
Anonymous, June 2017
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank both you and the team at Olliers in ensuring that I had my conviction overturned by the Court of Appeal. Following my first hearing I felt let down by the entire justice system. However, from our initial contact I knew that I had found someone who would listen to what I had to say and act upon it. I do not wish to think about the implications on my career and reputation had the guilty verdict stood and I have no doubt that your involvement was pivotal to the success of my appeal. A false accusation affects so many more people than just the accused, but you have been there for both myself and my family at every stage. I would not hesitate in recommending both yourself and Olliers in the future”
“I would like to take the opportunity to thank Max for representing me in court recently and all his input and hard work beforehand leading to such a favourable outcome.
I cannot emphasize strongly enough my gratitude and appreciation for his support and compassion at such a difficult time. I could not have expected a better result and I have no doubt that Max’s professional and well prepared presentation of all facts to the judge led to the very best outcome.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Max and the team at Olliers.”
“On the date in Court Max acted with authority and professionalism, defending my son. He covered absolutely everying, giving the Judge a clear understanding of the situation. The outcome was astounding and beyond what we could have hoped for. My son came home with me that day.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Max.”
J.S. September 2013